Notification No. C/147/2018-19 DATED 28/02/2018
The Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation [GIFT] Thiruvananthapuram invites applications for the award of ICSSR Institutional Doctoral Fellowships (5 in numbers) in the domain of Public Economics for specialization in one or more of the following fields of enquiry:. (1) Resource mobilization and expenditure, (2) Fiscal Federalism, (3) Interstate trade and Goods and Services Tax (4) Local Self Government Institutions and Governance. The fellowships each carrying a monthly payment of Rs. 16,000 plus an annual contingency grant of Rs. 18000 is for a duration two years (ICSSR), –extendable by two more years by the Institute.
The eligibility requirements for awarding the fellowship are as follows:
1. Minimum 50% marks in Graduation and 55% in Post-Graduation or equivalent grades in any social science disciplines. Five per cent (5%) relaxation of marks will be given to the SC/ST candidates;
2. NET/SLET/M Phil from a recognized university or the candidates who are registered after qualifying Research Entrance Test (RET) conducted by a University;
3. The scholar should not be more than 40 years of age on the last date of application. There shall be an age relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST candidates;
4. Candidates who have already availed of UGC Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)/Rajiv Gandhi Doctoral Fellowship (RGDF)/Maulana Azad Doctoral Fellowship (MADF) are not eligible to apply.
Each application should be accompanied by a research proposal not exceeding 1500 words. The outline should confirm to the ICSSR Research proposal format as listed below:
RESEARCH PROPOSAL FORMAT
1. Title: The research proposal should have a clear, meaningful and concise title reflecting the scope of the investigation.
2. Introduction and / or Statement of the Problem
The research proposal should begin by clearly stating the research problem to be investigated in the light of its theoretical and/or empirical context in the relevant area.
3. Aims and/or Objectives of the Study
The general aim of the study as well as well as its specific objectives should be clearly stated in the proposal.
4. Conceptual Framework
Given the problem and the theoretical perspective for investigation of the problem, the proposal should clearly bring out the concepts to be used and demonstrate their relevance for the study. Besides, the dimension of empirical reality that needs to be explored for investigating the problem should also be specified.
5. Research Question or Hypotheses
Given the conceptual framework and the specification of dimension, the specific questions to be answered through the proposed research should be sharply formulated. In the case of an explanatory research design, specification of variables and positing of relationship among them through specific hypotheses must form a part of the research proposal.
6. Review of Literature
The proposal should summarize the current status of research in the area and major findings, including the researcher’s own work in the area. Existing empirical findings may also be discussed. The overview should clearly demonstrate the relevance as well as inadequacy of existing findings or approaches and provide a rationale for the proposed study.
7. Scope and Methodology
The researcher must describe in detail (a) the scope and coverage of her/his study; and (b) approach and methodology with adequate justification. Emphasis should be given to bringing out innovativeness in approaches proposed to be followed. The detailing of the methodology may include research design, data to be collected and empirical and analytical methods to be used. The description of the methodology must be clearly linked to the aims of the research and the research questions/hypotheses of the study.
8. Relevance,Anticipated Outcomes and Proposed Outputs from the Research
The proposal should include a statement on the relevance of the study and the anticipated outcomes. It should bring out the significance of the research problem, the contribution which the proposed study is expected to make to theory and to methodology as well as its practical importance to society and policy making. It should also describe the proposed outputs from the study (Books, research papers, occasional papers with themes etc.)
9. Tentative Chapterisation
Detailed chapterisation should be clearly spelt out in the research proposal.
Bibliography should be prepared in Chicago Manual Style.
Application form has been provided below. Filled application form has to be emailed in the mail id email@example.com hard copy of the filled application form can be sent to
Gulati Institute of Finance and Taxation
Applications should reach the Registrar, Gulati institute of Finance and Taxation at the above address on or before 16th March 2018.
Candidates short listed for the fellowships will be invited for an interview to be held on 24th March 2018.